Saturday, December 18, 2010

Miles for Miracles

Paige and I have decided to share our blog with mommy as she trains for the 2011 Boston Marathon! So the following is from Mommy!!

Today marked a milestone in my training for the Boston Marathon! Our first team practice was held in Wellesley. Kris and I left bright and early...and bundled up to meet the team. I am not going to lie when I got up this morning and it was dark and cold outside, I wanted nothing more than to crawl back into bed. Lucky for me I have small children at home, so even if I decided not to make the trip to Wellesley there was no return to bed for me. Only 17 more weeks, I can do this. HA! 17 weeks...that is a long time and this was going to be an easy practice, only 5 miles. In less than two months I will be getting up in the morning for a 17 mile run. All of these thoughts are going through my mind in the 40 minutes I had to prepare. Then my ride pulled in the driveway and we were off....and I was excited!

The majority of our team runs meet at St. Paul's Parish in Wellesley. We started with a clinic by a sports psychologist attempting to mentally prepare us for the 4 months of training and the race itself. He attributed marathon runners to "Dead Heads"... more on that later.

I was quite happy to see people of all shapes and sizes and clearly all different ability levels. I am not sure what I would have done with a room full of elite runners. But then again, elite runners qualified for a number and are probably out running on their own somewhere not worried about raising $5000. I am happy to be raising money for a such a great cause an elite runner I will never be. The run today ranged from 2-10 miles. I would have loved to have journeyed out for a nice ten miler, but alas I am nursing a minor injury and under the advisement of my chiropractor kept my run to a modest 5miles. A modest 5 miles along part of the course of the most famous marathon ever!! It was great. It was cold, but not too cold and the people were super. I think this is going to be a truly positive experience and if Patrick and Paige don't mind I will share as much of it with you as I can. That is if you care to read about. Don't worry Patrick and Paige will continue their blogging duties as well. I will see you all at the finish line. Check in next week for a post about the Miles for Miracles kick off event and meet my Patient Partner Emma. Thank you again to those of you who have donated! If you would still like to donate click here - https://howtohelp.childrenshospital.org/bostonmarathon/pfp/?ID=WK0075

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Good luck Kel! It's an amazing accomplishment, not to mention a great thing you're doing!