Sunday, January 16, 2011

Miles for Miracles - Team Run #3

GUEST BLOGGER: Mommy
Team Training Run #3 - 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, ZERO!!
Fundraising Page - https://howtohelp.childrenshospital.org/bostonmarathon/pfp/?ID=WK0075

I got in my car yesterday to drive to Wellesley for the weekly team run and was a little scared when I saw that my thermometer read 5 degrees. That is chilly. Yikes! Well, it is only going to warm up, I have time before the run actually begins. That is when it happened....the temp actually was falling as I was driving, it was ZERO within a matter of moments.   I knew it was going to be a frozen booger kind of run.

"Off to FREEZE!!!"
As I pulled onto Rte 16 an SUV was in front of me with the sticker!! You know the one I am talking about, the Pink 26.2 Sticker. Man I can't wait to get that sticker. As I was driving behind the car I realized, I don't really need to run the marathon I can just  buy the sticker. Random passerbys will never know. They will think I have run a marathon. I can just buy it, put it on my car and call it a day. HA! Now, of course I am just kidding. I am in no way shape or form training for and running the Boston Marathon just for the sticker. BUT....make no mistake about it I will be stopping on the way home from the marathon to pick up my 26.2 sticker. I might even have to put one Mark's car. I wonder if they make stickers that say "Proud Husband of a 26.2er." Hey, if I drive around with not one, but two union stickers on my car Mark should have no problem with placing this sticker on his car.


Anyway, onto the run. So I thought I was pretty tough last week running in the snow. This week had last week beat for sure. I AM A WARRIOR!! This run was tough. There were two choices... running on BADLY cleared sidewalks filled with ice and hard packed snow OR running in the road. If you have been on Rte 16 you know it is pretty busy. You have two types of drivers there, runners themselves who are actually pretty considerate and then you have the drivers that are so sick of these damn runners that descend upon their town week after week to train. Needless to say the run was scary.

My plan was to do 10 miles, 5 out and 5 back. At mile 4 you turn off of yucky Rte 16 and onto BEAUTIFUL, snow covered Commonwealth Avenue. There was a carriage road that we were able to run that was free of snow ice and the views were great. Amazing houses and snow covered trees lined each side of the road. I hit mile 5, the turn around for me and I decided it was too pretty to turn around. If I can run 10 I can easily do 12, so I ran to the 12 mile turn around. I was happy with my decision until about mile 10 when I was starting to hurt, luckily for me at the point I came across the last water stop. I decided that this would be a good time to take one of my Shot Blocks (a gummy chew filled with sugar to give you a boost, they remind me of dots). This was a bad idea, at least if I wanted to return from this run with all my teeth. I have heard have people losing toenails, but not teeth. The Shot Block was FROZEN solid. So there was no extra boost for me, but I made it and felt great after!

INSPIRATION: So far this process has made me realize that I have been truly blessed to be surrounded by some very generous and thoughtful people. The great thing about this is it includes both current people in my life as well as people I have not seen or spoken to for years, thanks to Facebook. I am truly touched by each and every donation, I know they are not donating to me personally, but I am the one asking and these donations have been made on my behalf. I am grateful for the wonderful people in my life that have donated and I am shocked at the people from my past who have graciously donated. I am a lucky person!
THANK YOU!!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Kelli - you seriously rock!