Team Training Run #2 - SNOW SNOW SNOW!
Fundraising Page - https://howtohelp.childrenshospital.org/bostonmarathon/pfp/?ID=WK0075
For those of you who know me well, you know that there is a very good chance that I am going to wipe out on a routine run. It has been awhile since a took a digger, but it happens and it happens out of no where. There is usually blood involved and there are always a few cars passing by at the moment of impact. One usually stops to make sure I am OK...OF COURSE I am OK just keep driving, pretend you never saw anything. My family knows not to ask what happened when I return home with a bloody palm or shin...they know, Kelli fell. In fact when I first started fundraising and posting things about the marathon on Facebook one of my sisters comments was..."Don't Fall Kelli!" So where I am going with all this?

Our second team training run was yesterday. The weather people had been predicting anywhere from a 1/4 of an inch to 4 feet of snow for Saturday and Sunday. I had already decided that if it was snowing in the morning when I woke up I would NOT drive to Wellesley for the run. I could do a nice comfortable run on my treadmill while watching Private Practice and Castle on DVR. Well, it wasn't snowing when I got up so with my mom there to babysit I drove down to Wellesley. No snow on Rte 3, no snow on 95, then I got off on RTE 16....SNOW. Lots of snow...OK maybe not lots, but enough to make me want to turn around and go home. It wasn't so much the snow that worried me...it was the falling in the snow in front of all my teammates. I have been dealing with an ankle issue and the thought of running on the snow covered sidewalks sent me into a bit of a panic attack. A quick phone call to Mark for a little pep talk and I calmed down a bit.

I have been a runner for a long time....but up until yesterday running in the elements consisted of a rainy run in the middle of summer. So I was pretty impressed that I was even suiting up for a run in these conditions. I usually laugh at the crazy people I see running in the snow while I am driving and now I was about to become one of those crazy people. So off I went.... please don't fall, please don't fall. I was doing OK, taking it slow, steady footing. Now, this post would be super funny if I could tell you all about the wipe out I took just before crossing over 95. It would be even funnier if I could tell you that I was soaking wet from my fall that my coach insisted I turn around to get dry clothes. Well I am sorry to disappoint, but I did the 8 miles with only a few minor missteps...no wipe outs!! Now I pretty much feel like a hardcore runner. Yup that's right, HARD CORE. ;) Yeah, I know it was one snow storm in 30 degree weather, really not an extreme runner yet...but it is only January.
INSPIRATION:
If this story doesn't inspire you not sure what will!! I ran with a man yesterday who's wife faced a battle with adult onset Polio a few years back. She had had it when she was a young girl. Sadly it returned forcing her to retire early and severely affected her mobility. This wasn't about to stop her. After years of PT and determination she RAN the BOSTON MARATHON last year! If this amazing woman can run the marathon and the patients and families of the Children's Hospital can endure what they must on a daily basis I can run that marathon with no problems! Bring it on!!

FUNDRAISING PAGE:
https://howtohelp.childrenshospital.org/bostonmarathon/pfp/?ID=WK0075
5 comments:
Go Kell! You make me smile :)
Ok so I don't recall you ever falling during one of our runs....and we used to run a lot....
And if I remember correctly, we used to run in the snow - so technically you've always been hard core :)
Sia...sadly it has been a long time since we have run together and had bad summer or two of random falling!! :) Ask my sisters. And yes you and I have always been hardcore, which I why I miss my running buddy so much!! I am talking about you btw. :)
I miss you too! I ran 3 miles last night - and I haven't run since Thanksgiving! I miss it so much!!!
When we getting together? I'm going to call you later today xoxoxox
Nice work Kelli!
Post a Comment